Thursday, December 13, 2018

Multiple Panel:

For this project, I wanted to experiment with the concept of going 3 dimensional. I did this through my choice of medium. This project was the most difficult as well as methodical. I first started with the "bones" of the structure, and created a form using a thick paper called bristol. I then used plaster strips and covered the entire form. This ensured a hard surface for the groundwork. Once the plaster strips completely dried, I then went in and covered the form in its entirety with joint compound. Once that layer dried, I sanded it down to a smooth texture, and flocked either side with a dark forest green.

The overall intent for this project was to abandon all thoughts of functionality. This is due to my inspiration of an artist by the name of Stephen Antonson. He works with plaster, and created many dysfunctional furniture pieces. They are completely beautiful to look at, and the over idea is presented right there. He creates pieces which look like something, but in fact are quite the opposite and are fragile. That was my intent with my project, for that I wanted to abandon the stigma surrounding functionality.

Title: Functionality is Dead
Medium: Bristol paper, plaster, joint compound, flock, acrylic paint, and wire
Size: "26x 9"






Research: 
Multiple Panel:


Ellsworth Kelly 




https://www.sfmoma.org/artist/Ellsworth_Kelly

Bruce Nueman 




https://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibitions/3852

Stephen Antonson




http://bspoke.net/2014/05/17/stephen-antonson/



No comments:

Post a Comment

Short and Long Term Projects Artwork # 1 Ephemeral Marks: Updated Ephemeral Drawing Title: Flowers in the Wind Medium: Palm and f...